Join us for our October 2022 Sioux Empire SHRM chapter meeting and HR educational opportunity! We are again offering both in-person and simultaneous virtual attendance options throughout 2022 (Zoom links will be sent to registered virtual attendees by separate email shortly before events).
*NOTE: this month's meeting features two speakers and will be 1.5 hours in length (and 1.5 credits) !
Drug Testing 101 & Legal Update in the uncertainty of Marijuana Legislation: Presented by Dr Joel Blanchard, Sanford Occupational Medicine and Lisa Marso, partner at Boyce Law firm.
Attendees can expect this presentation to benefit HR professionals, both new-to and seasoned in testing.
- Dr. Blanchard will begin with an overview of the drug testing process, including information on sample collection, lab analysis and the role of a medical review officer (MRO). He will discuss the current regulatory environment and offer guidance for updating your company’s testing programs if necessary. He’ll also review available drug testing panel options and address how to accommodate marijuana legalization trends.
- Attorney LIsa Marso will will share legal perspectives in the current climate/pending SD legislation: employer policy & procedures, including reasonable suspicion training, drug testing language with rapidly changing panel options, THS/medical marijuana, and confidentiality in the work place.
Dr. Joel Blanchard is the Enterprise Medical Director of Sanford Health Occupational Medicine Clinic in Bemidji, East Grand Forks MN, Bismarck, Dickinson, Fargo, ND, and Sioux Falls SD. As medical director, he oversees the medical care, policies and procedures of the clinics. Dr. Blanchard is a board-certified family medicine doctor at Sanford Health. He completed his medical degree at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon and his internship at St. Paul’s Hospital in Saskatoon. Dr. Blanchard is also a fellow of the American College of Emergency Physicians. He is certified as a medical review officer for drug testing and is a member of the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine.
Lisa Marso is a partner at the Boyce Law firm in Sioux Falls, where she has practiced over 25 years. Lisa’s primary practice areas are employment, governmental, and life/health/disability law. For over 10 years she has and continues to serve as the Brandon City and Split Rock Township Attorney. Lisa has successfully represented employers and insurers in administrative, civil and appellate claims. In so doing, she has assisted in developing legal precedent that protects employers and insurers in South Dakota. Lisa’s practice also involves providing training in the workplace and pre-litigation investigations to resolve disputes prior to litigation being undertaken, and addressing benefit issues. Her employment clients include both the small employer as well those who employ thousands of employees. Lisa’s life/health/disability clients include both insurers involved nationwide, as well as self-funded local plans. Lisa also actively handles employment and government “hotline” issues for governmental entities.
- In Person Attendees: Lunch & networking from 11:30 to 12:00
- Virtual Attendees: Zoom sign-in at 11:40
- All Attendees:
- Announcements and Speaker Intro at 11:45
- Presentation 12:00 noon to 1:30pm* (1.5 hours & credits)
Monthly chapter meetings and HR educational presentations are free for members and $20 for non-members.
We submit our events for consideration as pre-approved continuing educational credits from SHRM and HRCI (General or Business) when eligible.